Beginning Monday, September 14, 2020, the SU Department of Public Safety will be conducting fire drills in all academic and administrative buildings. In an effort to minimize class disruption, the majority of these drills will be held during the final five minutes of class periods. All employees, students, contractors and visitors are required to wear an approved face mask prior to exiting and/or reentering the building.
Upon sounding of a fire alarm, all building occupants (students, faculty and staff) are to evacuate the building as quickly as possible following the procedures listed below:
- If time and conditions permit, close all doors and windows (do not lock doors, unless for security purposes);
- In an effort to maintain social distancing, use the nearest available exit. Exits may not be ones you are used to using on a daily basis. All participants are responsible for familiarizing themselves with their nearest exit prior to drill. Contact your Building Coordinator if you have questions regarding building exits.
- When on floors above ground level, always use stairways to exit the building (DO NOT USE ELEVATORS);
- Maintain social distancing once outside, DO NOT congregate around exterior doors, or on sidewalks and roadways;
- Do not re‑enter the building under any circumstances, even if the alarm has ceased ringing, until directed to do so by University Police;
- Disabled students should be directed to the nearest stair tower until after the drill is over. Building Coordinators and/or Faculty members should remain with the student.
All faculty and supervisory personnel are responsible for enforcing the aforementioned procedures. In addition, they should make a cursory examination of the building and its accessible areas (e.g. classrooms, labs, offices, restrooms, etc.) to insure that everyone has been evacuated safely.
Below is the schedule of fire drills for all academic and administrative buildings for the fall semester. Exact times have been omitted to ensure an element of surprise. Should inclement weather or other circumstances force fire drills to be canceled, they will be re‑scheduled for the following week at the same time and day. Please make this information available to all employees.
Anyone having questions or desiring additional information should contact the Department of Public Safety. All schedules are final, please plan accordingly to ensure minimal classroom disruptions.
Academic and Administrative Buildings Fire Drill Schedule
- Chapel – AM
- Old Main – AM
- Shippen Hall/GBLUES – PM
- Shearer Hall/Rowland Hall – PM
- Seth Grove Stadium – PM
- Franklin Science Center – AM
- Memorial Auditorium – AM
- Kriner Dining Hall – AM
- Reed Operations Center – PM
- Student Rec Building – PM
- Grove Hall – AM
- Gilbert Hall – AM
- Dauphin Humanities/Math & Computer Technology – PM
- Horton Hall – PM
- Hoffman Mills Warehouse – PM
- Henderson Gym – AM
- Lehman Library – AM
- Stewart Hall – AM
- Heiges Field House – PM
- Conference Center – PM
- Ceddia Union Building – AM
- Wright Hall – AM
- Huber Art Center – PM
- Luhrs Center – PM
- Reisner Dining Hall – PM
*AM – Between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and noon
*PM – Between the hours of noon and 4:00 p.m.
Please note: In the event of inclement weather, cancelled fire drills will he held the following week in the same scheduled timeframe.