Shippensburg University’s ABET accredited software engineering program is ranked 14 in the nation according to Study.com’s 2021 Best Bachelor’s Degrees in Software Engineering list. To formulate the ranking list, Study.com reviewed software engineering programs from across the nation based on their career resources, the quality of education and faculty. Ship landed at number 14 on the list of 31 schools.
According to Dr. Chen Huo, professor of software engineering and department chair, Ship’s program focuses on building large-scale software systems.
“When a system is too big for a couple of people to develop, two things become vital. First, we must be careful how we design the internals of the system. Second, when a team is developing together, we need to understand team management and tools. Our program has courses in the design of systems from small to very large (too large to fit on one machine) and in software process management. The students work on two different large-scale systems as their capstone experience,” explained Huo.
This program approach and the hands-on experiences it provides prepares students for a variety of careers. By working as software engineers during their time at Ship, guided by the program’s expert faculty, graduates of the program are ready to hit the ground running from day one.
“Our graduates are sought by organizations that have rigorous demands on their software, military applications, and fault tolerant applications like airplane control systems, and by software development organizations that build large and mission-critical systems,” said Dr. Chen Huo, assistant professor of software engineering and department chair.
“Programs like they have at Shippensburg in software engineering in terms of systems architecture and test-driven development, like that is the stuff that I need all of my employees to know in order to be effective engineers.”
–Ryan Kennel, Manager FordLabs, Ford Motor Company
Shippensburg University’s 2021 Rankings include:
- US News & World Report (Regional Universities North)
- #25 Top Public Schools
- Best Value Schools
- Best Online MBA Programs
- Best College for Veterans
- Best Online MBA Programs for Veterans
- Top Guard Friendly School by The Pennsylvania National Guard Associations (PNGAS)
- Study.com Nationally Top-Ranked Degrees
- #2 Supply Chain Management
- #5 Marketing
- #7 Journalism
- #12 Business
- # 14 Software Engineering
- #23 Finance
- Best Business Schools by The Princeton Review (Grove College)
- FORTUNE Magazine Best Online MBA Program
Prior Rankings Include:
- First-gen Forward Institution by the Center for First-generation Student Success
- College of Distinction for Business, Education and Engineering.
- College of Distinction for Career Development, Equity and Inclusion, and Military Support
- Top Master’s in Science Education program by Intelligent.com
- Leading Financial Planning School, by Financial Planning